Matcha green tea cupcakes (Adapted from Baked In)
Makes 5-6 dozen mini cupcakes
- 1½ cups cake flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1¼ cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons matcha powder
- 1 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- Zest of one lemon
- Preheat the oven to 180º
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, sugar, baking powder, salt, and matcha green tea powder.
- In a separate bowl (or the bowl of stand mixer), beat together milk, eggs, butter, and lemon zest until combined.
- With the mixer on medium low, slowly add the flour mixture just until combined.
- Fill each lined mini muffin tin 2/3 full. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out with just a few crumbs.
Honey buttercream (Recipe from Baked In)
- 2 large egg whites
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¾ cup of unsalted butter, room temperature (next time, I might reduce this to just half of a cup, as it was really buttery, but if that’s how you like it, keep as is:)
- 2 tablespoons honey
Thank you to Sarah from SnixyKitchen for allowing us to share this yummy recipe :-)
- Bring a couple of inches of water to simmer in a medium sauce pan over medium heat.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, stir together egg whites and sugar until combined.
- Place bowl over the sauce pan and whisk continuously until the sugar is complete dissolved and it becomes glossy and white, or until it reaches 60ºF.
- Transfer to the bowl of a stand mixer, and using the whisk attachment, whisk the mixture until it cools, and holds stiff peaks (about 8 minutes).
- Using the paddle attachment, add the butter 2 tablespoons at a time, until completely combined. Beat until smooth, about 3-5 minutes (it’s possible there will be a point when your frosting looks curdled, but keep beating until it smooths out – this didn’t happen to me, but the original recipe warned me of this).
- Add the honey and mix until combined.
- Frost cupcakes and devour!